Reduce Lost Time Injuries Caused By Slips & Falls When Working On Ice And Snow.
Consider the magnitude of costs and losses that are created by injuries from accidental slips and falls. We all know that the expenses associated with injuries of this type extend far beyond medical treatment for both employee and company.
The Due North Winter Traction Aids offer a truly ECONOMICAL SOLUTION to a very real SAFETY concern.
Due North Winter Traction Aids are lightweight and fit over the footwear people already own and feel comfortable in. This reduces fatigue caused by walking on icy surfaces or from using cumbersome traction aids and unfamiliar footwear.
As reported in the October issue of the Canadian Occupational Health & Safety Magazine.
Grocery chain fined $90,000 for injury to young worker By: Canada NewsWireNov 9, 2007
WOODSTOCK, ON (CNW) -- Sobeys Capital Incorporated, a national grocery retailer, pleaded guilty and was fined $90,000 in the Ontario Court of Justice today after a young worker slipped and fell in a grocery store cooler, January 21, 2006.
Justice of the Peace Robert Gay heard that the worker suffered a fractured hip after slipping on a piece of ice on the floor of a walk-in food cooler while on duty at the Sobeys store at 379 Springbank Ave., Woodstock.
Sobeys pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the floor used by the worker was kept free of obstructions, hazards and accumulations of ice as required by subsection 11(a) of the Regulations for Industrial Establishments. The failure was contrary to paragraph 25(1)(c) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge on the total, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
OH&SA - Employers General Responsibilities
1. The employer shall provide information, instruction and supervision to protect the safety of workers who may be injured by falling:
- from a height within a structure;
- from a ladder;
- through openings in a work surface;
- while working on a level surface; or
- while working on and around machinery.
2. The employer, supervisor and workers should keep work surfaces clear of slip and trip hazards to the greatest extent possible.
3. Workers should:
- follow the instruction and training provided by the employer;
- learn to recognize potential slip and trip hazards;
- report to their supervisor, anything they feel could be a threat to sound footing.
Factors to Consider in Fall Prevention
Eliminating Slips and Trips on a Level Surface
- All aisles and walkways should be kept free of clutter and debris.
- Oil spills and other slippery materials should be cleaned up immediately.
- Areas that are slippery because of the continuous use of water--common in the floriculture industry--should be off-limits as general traffic areas and restricted to those workers who must perform their duties in that area.
- Workers should put tools away when they are no longer needed.
- Sand and/or salt should be spread on icy surfaces if work has to be done in the vicinity. If the weather is particularly bad, consider putting the job off until conditions improve.
- Workers should wear safety footwear, appropriate for the work being done, to prevent slipping and falling on walking surfaces.
Get a Grip Before You Slip On Ice & Snow. Walk or Run with Confidence on Ice and Snow.
- DueNorth Traction Aids increase traction to help prevent slips and falls on snow and ice,
- Reducing the risk of possible pulled muscle, fractures and back problems caused by a quick slip or fall.
- The Due North Family of Winter Traction Aids covers a full range of footwear, can be used on a greater variety of surfaces and footwear.
- Longer lasting spikes made of tungsten carbide for superior traction on ice and snow. Non-sparking and ten times stronger than rolled steel and does not "round off" as it wears.
- The tungsten carbide metal spikes wear and hold their edge longer, resulting in better ice piercing traction, even as they wear down.
- Replaceable spikes so you can renew the product's effectiveness with minimal expense.
- The replaceable button designed spike is not just an economical way to extend wear; it's also a safety feature. If caught in a crack or hung up in any way, the button will pull through without tripping the wearer or damaging the rubber. They are without question, the key to the products' overall performance at a minimal cost.
- Our over sole is made out of 100% natural rubber (like a car tire), that stays flexible in even the most extreme cold temperatures. Most competitors use a lower quality TPR, thermoplastic rubber, that becomes brittle in cold temperatures and does not maintain its flexibility.
- One-piece molded construction for a safe/secure fit with no straps, buttons, or buckles to break or get hung up on.
- We sell our product to the United States Air Force, United States Post Office, Canada Post, New York Transit Authority, and many other industrial users like fire departments, paramedics, bus drivers, utility workers, maintenance workers, oil refinery workers and countless others.
- With that in mind, consider the magnitude of costs and losses that are created by injuries from accidental slips and falls. We all know that the expenses associated with injuries of this type extend far beyond medical treatment for both employee and company.
- The Due North Winter Traction Aids offer a truly ECONOMICAL SOLUTION to a very real SAFETY concern.
- Due North Winter Traction Aids are lightweight and fit over the footwear people already own and feel comfortable in. This reduces fatigue caused by walking on icy surfaces or from using cumbersome traction aids and unfamiliar footwear.
- Tungsten carbide spikes work Independently.
- Provides outstanding traction on ice and packed snow.
- Tungsten carbide wears longer and holds its ice piercing edge better than steel.
- If caught in a crack or hung up in any way, the button will pull through without tripping the wearer or damaging the rubber.
- No tools needed to change spikes - easy and fast!
The HTA is ideal for drivers, delivery personnel or anyone operating machinery where use of a conventional, full coverage traction aid may interfere with driving capabilities. The HTA has two unique design features that quickly and easily allow the user to flip the traction pad or slide the traction pad out from underneath the heel when encountering a walking surface that may be damaged.
- Convenient hook and strap with adjustment system provides a quick, easy, comfortable, and secure fit on a wide variety of footwear.
- 4 Tungsten Carbide Due North® Ice Diamond™ Spikes, along with bi-directional tread, provides powerful traction with Maximum grip.
- One size fits most.
The Lt. Industrial is ideal for the worker who occasionally needs additional traction on ice and snow while performing their outdoor duties.
- Special rubber compound stays strong and retains elasticity in subzero temperatures for maximized durability.
- New and improved toe-box design enhances fit and function along with a 360-degree spike pattern that provides more push and lateral grip.
- Unique support hole on heel strap provides easy adjustment and makes it easy to put on and take off.
- 6 Tungsten Carbide Due North® Ice Diamond™ Spikes are integrated into a proprietary rubber tread design for improved traction.
- Sizes: S/M (fits M 3-7, W 5-9), L/XL (fits M 8-14, W 10 +)
All Purpose Improved Design
All Purpose Traction Aids
All Purpose has a working temperature range
of -60°F to 220°F
The All Purpose is the all-round solution for most footwear, including boots. Best for those who walk, run or work outdoors.
- New "Pulse Grip" tread design and repositioned Ice Diamond spikes provide more comfort under the foot and improved traction.
- Textured "Diamond Knurling" lining grips footwear and helps keep traction aids in place.
- Geometrically designed webbing and improved shape comfortably fit a greater variety of footwear.
- Special rubber compound maximizes durability while maintaining elasticity in subzero temperatures.
- Sizes: Small (fits M 4-7, W 5-8), Medium (fits M 7.5-10, W 8.5-11), Large (fits M 10.5-13, W 11.5-13)
All Purpose Over Sized Traction Aids
The All Purpose Oversized is specially designed to fit oversized bulky footwear, for anyone who works or plays outdoors.
- All the same features as the All Purpose improved design, but designed to fit oversized winter boots.
- For use on Pac boots and oversized work footwear. (Fits Boot and Felt Pac Boot sizes 10 and up or standard Footwear 13.5-15).
Just Some Of The Applications
Building Maintenance - Apartment, Office Towers & Condo's, Hospitals, etc.
Transit Authorities - track & street maintenance.
School Teachers & Janitors
Senior Citizen mobility aid (Home Care)
Police and Fire Departments
Emergency Medical Technicians
Park and Recreation Departments
Military base personnel
Cities & Municipalities
Ice Arena staff
Retail Stores - Grocery, hardware, department, drug, etc (parking lot attendants & grocery cart retrievers (kids).
Snow Removal Companies
Truck Drivers - Trucking companies